Thursday, October 1, 2009

Turns out that hot buttered rum and apple spice is everything nice!


I’m not sure if you’ve noticed it but the leaves are starting to turn brilliant shades of red, orange and yellow!! As I’ve mentioned before, this is my favorite time of the year. I love the smell in the air, the apple picking and the apple cider donuts! I picked up some apples the other day looking for some inspiration. Sadly they came from a big chain grocery store and not from a local area farm but they did the job. I was thinking of all things apples and what different types of goodness that could go with them. I thought back to last fall when my friends and I spiked some apple cider with rum during a Patriot’s game. Now, how the heck could I incorporate hot buttery rum cider into a cupcake? In the frosting of course!!

Now, the cupcakes I’ll admit were a little weird. They tasted delish but the consistency was much more muffin like and next time I make these I’m going to make sure to slice and dice the apples much finer. I personally liked the chunky apples but I can see how some might not. Now, the thing that put these cupcakes over the edge was the amazing icing. The hot buttery rum frosting was the most superbtacular, yes I’m making up words now, frosting I have ever made. It was heavenly. It was beyond heavenly really, it was to DIE for, smooth and creamy and light as air. I was stoked! I finally mastered the perfect frosting!! Throw another success up on the board for this girl, these cupcakes are the nuts. Actually come to think of it, they might be yummy with some chopped walnuts!! Here’s how you can make these tasty treats for yourself.

Apple spice cupcakes with hot buttered rum icing:

2 eggs ¾ cups of milk
1/3 cup butter, melted 1 tsp dark rum
1 tsp vanilla 2 ¼ cups flour
¼ cups sugar ¼ cups brown sugar
2 granny smith apples, 1 tbsp baking powder
finely chopped 1 tsp cinnamon

Preheat oven to 350 degrees

Beat eggs, milk, melted butter, rum and vanilla in a bowl or, if you’ve got enough measuring utensils, beat it in a measuring cup and save yourself some dish washing!

In a new, large bowl, combine flour, sugars, baking powder and cinnamon. Once this is combined, add your egg and flour mix. Once all mixed together, add in chopped apples. The mixture is going to be very thick and doughy looking. I think this is why the cupcakes ended up ‘muffiny’. It’s okay; you’re frosting them so they’re cupcakes, not muffins.

Bake at 350 for 18 – 20 minutes or until your cake tester comes out clean.

Hot buttery rum icing:

½ cup of shortening ½ cup of room temp butter
Box of confex sugar 2 oz dark rum

Whip together shortening and butter, add confectioners sugar slowly. When at an icing consistency blend in dark rum.




No comments:

Post a Comment